Monday, June 13, 2011

Homemade Deodorant

After searching for years for a good, affordable, natural deodorant I gave up and decided to try making my own. I have used this recipe for about a year now and my husband has even recently started to use it too! I love it and not only is it natural, but it's affordable, easy, and works great too! So, I bet you're all wondering what my recipe is and already pondering where you'll get the ingredients. Well, there are only two main ingredients and most of you will have them right in your kitchen!

I use old herbal salve containers that I saved from previous purchases and have cleaned well. They are about 1" deep and about 4" round. I find that this size of container works great because it's nice and wide and not too deep. However, I'm sure many of you can find a container around your house that will work too.

I use refined coconut oil because it's cheaper, however, any grade coconut oil is fine. I bring the coconut oil to room temperature and then use it to fill my container about 3/4 full. I then add a couple heaping spoonfuls of baking soda (yes, the same stuff you use to bake with). There isn't an exact amount and this recipe can be tweaked any way you want. Now, optionally, you can add some essential oils. I'm personally a fan of Tea Tree and Lavender for deodorant, but feel free to experiment. Lastly, I stir it up real well and put it in the fridge to solidify. I keep it right next to the sink in my bathroom and use my fingers for application.

I love that I can create something that works and is practical!

No comments: