Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gluten Free Living

One of the hardest parts about going gluten free was figuring out what to cook and how to cook it! I had finally mastered sprouting my grains, dehydrating them, and then grinding them into flour when my second daughter, Rosalyn, was born. I was so proud of my accomplishment and that I was able to feed my family nutritious foods. However, my new baby was very fussy and so I did an elimination diet to rule out potential food allergies since I was nursing her. I found that eliminating dairy, soy, corn, and wheat also eliminated her fussiness. So, I started on a new journey. As Rosalyn got older I started adding back in wheat I noticed that myself and my older daughter were having reactions to it. I was somewhat disappointed, but after some research and testing our home is completely gluten free! Has it been easy? No. Has it been worth it? Definitely.

There have been a lot of articles lately about the epidemic of gluten intolerance in America. I believe it is important to be informed and know what to look for. My friend Donielle at Naturally Knocked Up has put together an awesome podcast on the subject that I HIGHLY recommend everyone listen to.

Here are some good blogs and websites with recipes for those avoiding gluten:
Gnowfglins
Naturally Knocked Up
Gluten Free Girl
Elana's Pantry
Mennonite Girls Can Cook Gluten Free
Gluten Free Gobsmacked
Living Simply Without Wheat, Dairy & Sugar Through Real Food
The Spunky Coconut

No comments: